Friday, April 5, 2013

57: Frontotemporal Dementia Patient's Last Big Adventure

"Guess who's spending Christmas with us?" Matt announced as he walked in the door, his arms loaded with gifts and packages.
It's Christmas Eve and Matt just got home from work. He's got three bottles of wine, two cookie trays, a  couple of beautifully wrapped gift boxes, and a mysterious cardboard box that looks rather heavy for it's size. I take the cookies from him before they fall and he places everything down on the island countertop.
"Who? Who's spending Christmas with us?" I ask curiously.
Matt picks up the plain cardboard box and announces, "Frank!"
Matt had Frank cremated after his passing, but I never dreamed that he could then be mailed to us. I thought we would be taking one last, long trip back to South Mountain.
"That's Frank? Oh my gosh, get him off the countertop!" I was appalled that Frank's ashes were mingling with my Christmas treats.
"He can play Apples to Apples with us again." I suggested.
Matt said, "He'll probably win again too!"

Frank spent Christmas on top of the breakfront overlooking our Christmas dinner, spending it with us in a way. Honestly though, now that his spirit is free, I know he's not with us. If he could be anywhere right now, I know he's with Frances and Eric. After Terry passed away, I felt an odd presence for a few days. I admitted to Matt that I felt that Terry stayed with us for a time after she passed away and he said he also felt her. He said he knew even before the hospital called us that she had passed. He felt a breeze near his face a few minutes before the phone rang and he felt that it was her saying goodbye. Even my son Brett felt that he had an encounter with her spirit. I don't feel anything with Frank though and Matt says he doesn't either. But I still don't want him hanging around my house for long after the holidays.

"What are your plans for Frank?" I ask Matt after New Year and all the decorations have been cleaned up.
"I'm not sure yet." Matt answers.
"I think we should take him back to his home. That's where he would want to be the most." I said

"I think I might go to Ocean City, take out a boat and sprinkle him in the ocean. I'll call my brothers and see when they can make it." Matt seems like he's already thought it out in his head. Of course, I immediately think of the scene from "The Big Lebowski" when Walter and The Dude sprinkle Donny's ashes in the Pacific Ocean "that he loved so well" but the wind picks up and the ashes land all over them. I keep it to myself though. I'm sure it will be a good family outing, giving them all closure in sending Frank off to his last big adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment